Call Us Now on 07903672366 or email
Weale and Hitchen

Residential Energy Performance Certificates

It is now a legal requirement that any property introduced to the market must have an Energy Performance Certificate.

This report assesses the energy rating of the home and gives advice on energy saving matters.

Rob Gascoigne is a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor and fees for this type of report start at £50 plus VAT.  In many cases when undertaking the Energy Performance Certificate Rob will also provide a floor plan that can be included on the property’s sales details.

In many cases, commercial properties also need an Energy Performance Certificate and these can be supplied by Weale and Hitchen Property Surveyors and should clients require this service then before commissioning a report should speak directly to Rob Gascoigne as the extent and nature of the report can vary considerably.

When is the EPC required?

An EPC should be provided to a prospective buyer or tenant at the earliest opportunity and no later than when a viewing is conducted or when written information is provided about the building. Even if no marketing takes place it must be provided before entering into a contract to sell or let

How long is an EPC valid for?

An EPC is valid for up to 10 years, unless a newer EPC is produced for the property, in which case only the latter is valid.

Are there any circumstances where I don't need an EPC?

 EPCs are not required on construction, sale or rent for:

places of worship;
temporary buildings with a planned time of use less than two years;
stand alone (entirely detached) buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m2 that are not dwellings;
industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand;
on sale or rent for buildings due to be demolished

What happens if I do not have an Energy Performance Certificate?

The penalty for failing to make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant when selling or letting non-dwellings is fixed, in most cases, at 12.5% of the rateable value of the building, subject to a minimum penalty of £500 and a maximum of £5,000. There is a default penalty of £750 where the formula cannot be applied. The EPC will still be required.

What if I have a building that is subdivided into separate parts?

Selling or letting a building as a whole: You need an EPC for the whole building. If that building has parts designed or altered to be used separately with separate heating systems then it is also permissible to provide EPCs for each of the individual parts, plus an EPC for any communal areas.

Selling of letting part of building, where the building has a common heating system: If a building has a common heating system, then the seller or prospective landlord can prepare an EPC for the whole building or for the individual part designed or altered to be used separately (in which case Communal areas are ignored).

Buildings with separate parts and separate heating systems: An EPC should be prepared (or made available) for each part of a building that is being offered separately for sale or let.  If selling or letting the whole building it is permissible to provide EPCs for each of the individual parts plus an EPC for the conditioned communal areas or provide one EPC for the whole building.

Residential accommodation: Any separate residential accommodation that is self-contained will require its own domestic EPC. Residential space that can only be accessed via commercial premises (i.e. a house with a shop in a downstairs room or a shop with accommodation where the access is through the shop) will be assessed with the commercial premises as a single building.

Weale and Hitchen

What Our Clients Think

"I just wanted to let you know what a great service I received from W&H. At every step of the way, Rob and Wendy have been brilliant with fantastic customer service. Rob's survey report was thorough and returned very quickly. I even managed to negotiate over £3,000 off the purchase price of my property! Thank you for everything!" Anna Preece
Read More Testimonials
Make An Enquiry

Make An Enquiry

If you would like to contact Weale & Hitchen Chartered Surveyors please call us on the numbers below. Alternatively complete the form to email us and we will call you back straight away or at a time that is convenient.